Viewing MollyMc's Garden Diary: The Orchid House/Greenhouse
Sunday, July 6, 2008
TodayThe plastic has been down since 3/15 and it's hot and sunny out there today.
This is what the inside looks like today. The plants have grown into trees. The area has become a potting shed, playroom and junk collection zone.
Who knew those 2 castor bean trees would make it through the winter and get this tall. I have to cut seed pods off every week so next winter, I don't end up with a castor bean forest.
There are hardy hibiscus' (why hardy in the GH? duh, I think they are pretty), night blooming jasmine and tibouchina as the main attractions.
Sunday, July 6, 2008
OrchidsSo, what would an orchid house be without the orchids?
Some are hanging from castor bean trees and some are sitting on the ground.
I put some of them over here on the house side with a drip irrigation system. There's also a peppercorn vine there I've been babying for 2 years.
Saturday, March 1, 2008
As a GreenhouseHere's what's growing inside when it's 18 degrees outside.
This past winter we used a kerosene heater when nights threatened freezing.
Sunday, November 25, 2007
A GreenhouseThis was our second winter putting up plastic to keep it warm in here. We used the same plastic that we stored in the pumphouse attic. I can tell you that 4 mil plastic isn't strong enough to last through 2 winters, even stored away during the warmer months. We were patching splits all winter.
We didn't put in the storm doors until the fall of '07. It sure made a difference in keeping the greenhouse warm and for convenience of not fighting a plastic curtain to get in and out.
Tuesday, October 10, 2006
Looking out at fallThis view from the orchid house out into an October garden is just as I had envisioned.
Wednesday, June 14, 2006
InsideFrom a greenhouse perspective, I felt that keeping the ground unfinished would help in allowing the earth heat as well as the heat leaking out of the seams and windows of the house to warm the plants in the winter.
I put in flower beds along the screened walls and arranged the furniture in the center.
Monday, June 12, 2006
FinishedThe goal was to have it finished by the summer round up we were having here at the house. We made it in time, with the exception of getting the 2 ceiling fans installed, My handyman was on vacation that month.
The roof is corregated plastic with 75% being solid tan and the other 25% clear. This would allow for some sun to warm shine on the plants in the winter. There is screen on three sides except where the 2 door openings are. My plan was to later install storm doors. (much later)
We put in some Big Lots patio furniture on the rug we used for the former patio area. The rug keeps the chair legs from sinking into the sand.
Thursday, May 25, 2006
Building ItActually, it's an All Purpose structure.
We certainly needed a porch to keep the summer sun off the most exposed side of the house, a good place to keep orchids. In winter we needed a place to protect the more delicate plants. So after submitting a set of plans to the building department, we now have what is officially known as an "Orchid House".
We did our best not to move anything other than that rug and the grill. The biggest challenge was to keep from stomping on the plants while toting PT 2X10X16's to the site. Those were very heavy planks and when you drop one on your head, it seems much heavier.
|» MollyMc's profile|