Viewing Terry's Garden Diary: Landscaping - Shade Garden & Pond
Monday, June 30, 2008
Fast forwarding a couple years...Things haven't changed much in two years, other than the fence finally got stained!
Saturday, July 1, 2006We finished the paved seating area today - finally! Here's how it looks coming down the deck steps.
Monday, May 29, 2006
New bog filterI took us the better part of two days, $200, and four trips to town) to tear out the old filter and rebuild to this.
Friday, May 26, 2006
Bog filter reduxThis is the old filter before we began tearing it out. Functionally, it worked, but it was flawed - the waterfall never worked properly (and looked completely fake, which it was), and the pile o'rubble hiding the concrete blocks looked pretty massive compared to the rest of the pond edging.
Saturday, May 20, 2006
Fast-forward a few years...I didn't realize how much the garden had evolved and grown up in five years (but it shouldn't come as a surprise that it did!)
Saturday, May 20, 2006And another shot - this one is a different angle than the '01 shot, but it's the same bed (next to the deck.) The plantings in this bed have been changed numerous times, most recenlty last fall, when I ripped out the remaining perennials and added hydrangeas left homeless after the deck re-do.
Saturday, May 20, 2006Shot of pulmonarias, brunnera, and hostas along the side of the house
Monday, June 24, 2002The (almost) finished project:
After the liner was in place, almost 1/4 ton of pea gravel (rinsed well first) was added. Stones were arranged around the top edge of the filter to match the edge of the pond; in the transition area between the filter and pond, additional rocks were placed to create a small waterfall effect.
Plants (Elephant Ear, Violet Stemmed Taro, and Water Celery) were placed in the bog filter.
Monday, June 24, 2002Side shot of the finished bog filter. Let's hope it soon removes the "pea soup" effect from the pond!
Saturday, June 22, 2002
Initial NoteWe built this bog garden in a weekend, using ~$100 in materials.
Saturday, June 22, 2002Step 1: we cleared the site, grading it slightly higher in the back, and placed 8" x 8" x 16" cinderblocks in the outline of the bog garden. The shape is approximately 5' wide x 3' front to back.
A slightly smaller block was used for the "spillway" area.
Step 2: About 100 pounds of sand was dumped in the footprint and tamped down firmly.
Saturday, June 22, 2002Next we attached 3/4" inside diameter flexible pond tubing to a piece of 1" PVC. After some searching, we found suitable connections in the "water supply" section of Lowe's :)
The PVC was cut to fit along the back wall of the bog garden, and holes were drilled every 4-6", then a cap was installed on the far end.
NOTE: We didn't cement the connections or end cap to the PVC, as the water pressure isn't great enough to cause them to come loose, and we figured it was safer for the fish to not use cement.
Saturday, June 22, 2002We spread a piece of liner in the filter area, and smoothed out the wrinkles.
Saturday, June 22, 2002Side shot of this step - note the placement of the PVC tubing. This will force the water to travel through the gravel before exiting into the pond and hopefully trap much of the algae in the bog filter.
Wednesday, June 20, 2001
Flashback!This photo was taken back in 2001, when the paths were first installed. (Prior to that, it was just mulch - no paths, no plants, no nuthin out there, except the pond, and a rather odd "waterfall" coming out of the silver-leaf maple.
We moved the curved concrete bench from another area in the yard, used the excess stones from around the pond to build the paths, and I hand -hauled a half-ton of sand, and a ton of pea gravel to finish it.
|» Terry's profile|