Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Poultry and Livestock: lagata2 picture (Chickens and their eggs)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright lagata2

In reply to: Chickens and their eggs

Forum: Poultry and Livestock

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of Chickens and their eggs
lagata2 wrote:
Ahh BreezyMeadow, it's your day to learn something new!!! :)
As a rule, birds/animals that are are Not severely inbred by humans or circumstance are better able to fight/avoid disease (and bacterial infections) than those that are. Many "pure breed" dogs are a great example of inbreeding that causes a greater susceptibility to certain diseases which out crosses (mutts) wouldn't be nearly as likely to have. Also, " wild strain, " vs "wild birds" is key in this, but actually it's usually unclean conditions and/or poor handling which cause the shells to be contaminated with droppings.
Throwing up etc (or not) was a biggie to me, and I didn't come up with all this without good reason and research. Vaccination is not against salmonellae itself, but against the disease salmonella enteritis. Here is a simple web page on the vaccination;
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1998/12/981204074551.ht...
Here is a more complex one.
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/eid/vol6no5/rabsch.htm
If the diseases is in the ovaries of the hen, the chicks born of those eggs will carry it. Of course cleanliness counts too, and any flock or egg could still carry it, regardless of breeding. Clearly the Hatchery in question kept a clean place, and was willing to answer odd questions from prospective or past customers. They don't sell show quality birds, but nice healthy ones, in lesser numbers than most of the others (15 vs 25) mix or match. Very friendly folks! It was Cackle Hatchery. I've never lost a chick in transit, and they usually include extras.

Tamara; one of the neat things with mixed color eggs is the fun of looking at the year around "Easter Basket" Effect :) No doubt the kids could astound some of their friends with the blue/green eggs as well. My husband loves to give them away to people who never saw/heard of them before. ;)

Yes Hmstyl I'm sure it's worse, or at least no better. One article I found then said that testing/vaccinating would be so horribly expensive, it was decided to warn the public rather than require the additional expense of the egg industry. (???!!!!)
The chicken "palace" is bright clean and airy, (I painted everything white as I built it) with elec and auto water, and built to withstand anything short of a direct hit by a tree or tornado!

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America