Photo by Melody

BugFiles How-to's: wallaby1 picture (Welcome to the BugFiles discussion forum!)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright wallaby1

In reply to: Welcome to the BugFiles discussion forum!

Forum: BugFiles How-to's

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of Welcome to the BugFiles discussion forum!
wallaby1 wrote:
dave, I would like to know what sort of questions you expect on this forum.

The obvious ones are 'is this bug allowed', 'can we extend the files to ...." etc.

There is no response at the moment, but my main thoughts are the positive ID of a particular species and there seems to be no place to ask these questions. I feel that the general ID forum might not be the right place.

An example is a different looking Red Admiral butterfly I have had visiting the Buddleja. I have had Painted Lady butterflies for the first time that I have noticed this year, and they have appeared a little later than the first lot of Red Admirals, and at about the same time as the different looking Red Admiral.

I found a site with pictures of different species of butterlfies from around Europe, the location being noted. I see differences in the same species from different locations, and knowing that these butterflies generally travel northwards and can do so for thousands on kilometers on winds, I am seeing most of these variations in my garden this year.

Last year I had a few, but nothing like this year. It has been very hot, and when that happens the winds are generally bringing the hot weather from continental Europe.

The Red Admiral which has my interest looks to be a different species of the same family, and the picture which leads me to believe this was from the Canary Islands.

The Painted Lady butterflies I have also look to be coloured as the ones from the Canary Islands.

As both of these turned up at about the same time, I am thinking the possibility of them having come on the same winds from the Canary Islands is a strong one.

These two different butterflies have often been feeding together on the same flower. As they are the same family, and unless I saw the top of the wings of the Red Admiral, I could have thought it was a more strongly coloured Painted Lady. I am wondering if they might interbreed.

I would like to be able to have some other opinions on this, and which species my Red Admiral is.

The species is Vanessa vulcania, the common one is Vanessa atalanta, this site shows it

http://www.leps.it/indexjs.htm?SpeciesPages/PolygCalbum.htm

I can see there might be others which cause confusion too, and a forum to discuss this would be useful. This forum doesn't seem to indicate that it can be used for this purpose.

The pic of mine

Janet

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America