Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beekeeping: mygardens picture (Bee sting - bee stinger)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright mygardens

Subject: Bee sting - bee stinger

Forum: Beekeeping

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of Bee sting - bee stinger
mygardens wrote:
Neighbors of ours started some bee hives this summer. It is fascinating. The bees are Italian bees and I understand they are generally quite gentle so it is not always necessary to wear a protective suit when working with the bees. However, this time the wife got stung when one flew into her forehead when they had to open the hive. The stinger was removed properly and I had a chance to take a photograph which I thought I would share.

I learned that the sting of a honeybee is different from other bee stings. There is a special way to remove the stinger which might possibly prevent the venom from being discharged, but I can't describe it. Maybe someone else will provide a description of this process.

Here is some further information:

http://science.exeter.edu/jekstrom/Bee/Sting/Sting.html

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America