Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Sustainable Alternatives: Soferdig picture (Anyone use rainwater or grey water?)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Soferdig

In reply to: Anyone use rainwater or grey water?

Forum: Sustainable Alternatives

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of Anyone use rainwater or grey water?
Soferdig wrote:
My grey water collector. I have captured the bath shower water by placing a pond pump in the tub when we are finished and have it collect and distribute to the holding tank by a hose exiting the window and flowing into the tank. The tank is a water tank people here use to have at cabin sites to hold water. I collect the kitchen sink (our busiest water source) and change the plumbing in the spring summer to collect as seen in the following picture. This works quite well and provides us with about 200 gallons per day to be pumped out of the holding tank onto our garden. I have a large submersible sump pump that provides good water pressure to the sprinklers we use to disperse it. We don't get much water after July so this is when I use this to minimise my water neads. When raining all of my rain water is diverted from the run off spouts underground in non perforated pipe (4") To the nearest garden bed where it is then allowed to percolate out of 4" perforated drain pipe into the soil of a nearby bed. This is all done with gravity. Each pipe is open on the end with a cap that can be easily removed to flush out debris that may collect in the pipe. All down hill with a drop of over 20' so easily cleaned out.

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America