Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cottage Gardening: Illoquin picture (SPECTACULAR 2007 COTTAGE GARDEN FRESH FALL SEED SWAP!)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Illoquin

Subject: SPECTACULAR 2007 COTTAGE GARDEN FRESH FALL SEED SWAP!

Forum: Cottage Gardening

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of SPECTACULAR 2007 COTTAGE GARDEN FRESH FALL SEED SWAP!
Illoquin wrote:
Hello all!

I am officially an empty nester, which means I would have room to host a Fresh Fall Cottage Garden Seed Swap this fall. I have a bumper crop of seeds that I need to clean and pack and find a home for, and there are no swaps going on now, so I thought I'd try my hand at hosting one.

Flowers - Herbs - Shrubs, but not vegetables or trees*.
It would be flowers - perennials, annuals, biennials, plus herbs, and flowering shrubs like butterfly bush, clethra, rose of sharon, roses, etc. *If you wanted, it could also include small trees, but things like acorns weigh too much, and the receiver will not probably have enough postage on the envie for acorns, nor enough room in their yard for a sweet gum, so let's say very small trees -- dogwood size or smaller.

My idea was to have a Oct 15th deadline, but it has been changed to October 31, and all seeds sent to me with a list of what you would like to receive in return. You may be as general, or as specific, as you wish, knowing that the more general you are, the more likely you are to get your wishes.

The seed packs should all be from a 2007 harvest and have the name of the plant in Latin (and English if you want), plus the color, height and also your user name. That is 4 things on each seed pack. Use Plant Files to identify your plant.

There is a limit of 10 packs per variety so I am not inundated with all the same things. If you need to send more than that, d-mail me and I'll see who else is sending that item. If it is nobody else, then I'll limit the number of packs to the number of participants.

Commercial seed must have a 2008 date on it and that will weed out the 10c packets of Covent Garden Gypsophila and Petite Marigold Mix you can buy at the Dollar General store.

The rule of thumb per pack is 10-15 large seeds, 25 medium seeds, 50 med small seeds and 100 small seeds (poppies). Assuming they are collected seeds, you might want to be a teeny bit more generous. Try to winnow and screen out as much chaff as you can, but if receiving seeds with chaff is going to bother you, then home-collected seed is probably not your thing.

You'll get your new seeds the second week of November. I'm in the address exchange, but I don't want these seeds until after October 1. If you send them too early, I'll think you didn't go to enough trouble in the picking, cleaning and sorting of them :)

Use a box or big bubble envie to send your seeds and I'll reuse that exact same envelope or box. Be sure it's big enough that I can send extra seeds back in it. Print or type my name and address really small when you send it, so I can cover it up with your label with your address on it for the return trip. When you seal your envie, it would be helpful if you didn't seal it with the adhesive that comes with it and just used some tape instead. I'm pretty sure it will make it easier to open and easier to reuse.

Send:

Your seeds with the 4 things listed (above) on each packet

A return address label or piece of paper with your name and address printed or typed on it.

The same amount of postage it took to mail your box/envie, PLUS another stamp in case there are extra seeds. I think I prefer loose postage stamps, and I know I can not use metered postage (the kind you can buy from the machines), a P.O. rule which irks me to no end..

A list of things you'd like in return with your real name, your user name and your email. I'd rather use email than DG mail because I'm afraid a person might not log onto DG to see they have mail.

I need to find out how we can do delivery confirmation without sending Priority Mail. Does anybody know? If I can figure it out, I'll want to send packages out with Delivery Confirmation, so hang tight until I figure it out.

It's starting to sound expensive, but Johnny's seeds has a $5.95 shipping and handling and Parks' has always been outrageous, I figure other seed houses will be following suit, so when you look at it that way, then this will be cheap.

I think that is all I can think of -- now, is anybody interested? If there isn't enough interest in the CG forum, I could go out to the regular seed swapping/round robin forums, but I was sort of hoping to make it an intimate swap with a whole lotta seeds! :)

Suzy

This message was edited Sep 19, 2007 10:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America