Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Crocosmia, a short review: clareb picture (How to get Crososmia to bloom in containers?)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright clareb

Subject: How to get Crososmia to bloom in containers?

Forum: Article: Crocosmia, a short review

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of How to get Crososmia to bloom in containers?
clareb wrote:
Hi Mark--

Excellent informative article. Thank you.

I've been trying to grow Crocosmia x 'Lucifer' in large containers for the past two summers. Because I live in USDA hardiness zone 5 (where winters can get down to -20 deg. F), I haven't yet tried growing corms in the ground for fear that they'd be killed during the winter.
My problem has been that most of the leaves on the plants turn brown, the entire plant seems likely to die but then new leaves start up. All of this would be fine except that this process seems to prevent the plants from blooming.
I'm guessing that I need to amend my potting mix or use some type of preferred fertilizer in a way to help these plants bloom.

With what do you suggest I amend my potting mix? Or, do you have a suggestion for use of a fertilizer?

Here are the details of my potting mix, and growth conditions:

Soiless potting mix made roughly of: Sphagnum Peat Moss (75-80 % / vol.); Dolomitic & Calcitic Limestone (pH adjuster); ; Macronutrients; Perlite (horticural grade); Micronutrients; Vermiculite; and a Wetting Agent.

Watered with a water-soluble "bloom producing" fertilizer: 10 parts nitrogen to 2 parts phosphorous to 8 parts potassium (10-52-8).

Full sun exposure with most summer days at or above 90 deg. F and ambient humidity about 20%. Most summer nights bottom out around 50 deg. F. Yep, I live in a high desert area of Utah in the Rocky Mountains.

I've used both nursery-started corms and have started my own corms.

Any ideas you can provide would be great! I lust after all of the gorgeous photos of Crocosmia cultivars and would love some blooms of my own.

Thank you,
Clare Beelman
Vernal, UT USA

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America