Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Plant Perennials in the Fall, Instead of the Spring: threegardeners picture (Gladiolus bulbs)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright threegardeners

In reply to: Gladiolus bulbs

Forum: Article: Plant Perennials in the Fall, Instead of the Spring

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of Gladiolus bulbs
threegardeners wrote:
I'm in zone 5a and I've been leaving my glad bulbs in the ground for a few years now. It all began one year, while doing the fall chore of digging them all up, I noticed a zillion baby bulblets(?). Well, I wasn't about to dig THEM all up and find a place for them to overwinter. I left them in the ground and guess what? They came back the following year and have continued to do so, reaching blooming age and blooming beautifully. Now I leave my glads in the ground, just like any other perennial.

My soil is exceptionally sandy, which helps with drainage. These were not bought as "hardy glads" either.

Hope this helps!!

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America