Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Cut Flowers and Floral Design: BLOSSOMBUDDY picture (Botanicals...Cut and dried!)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright BLOSSOMBUDDY

In reply to: Botanicals...Cut and dried!

Forum: Cut Flowers and Floral Design

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of Botanicals...Cut and dried!
BLOSSOMBUDDY wrote:
LOL!!! YO P! Yooou following mee?!!! LOL!

I was laying low ready to pounce, but I know better!! I'ma getting O-so-old too ya know! Them grey hairs are well earned here and I am already parking in the handicapped zone! They dun handed me my walking cane but I am not thaaaat old to get the gold watch!! I beleive you beat me there!! So Ima behaving myself! I fully respect my elderly!

The food coloring idea sounds like a try! I can't do any more horsetails until next season, but that is a thought. The darned things get white powder on them that looks like mold, but it is probably the silica in the plant too. The reptile brown-green is oh so loverly for those arrangements needing that lizard look, but dang if there was some way to keep their beautiful green that would be awesome!

I am gonna try doing them in silica sand and try some just sunbaked like hay. Will let ya all know how things go. But I am finding, the slightest bit of moisture in them prompts that powder be it mold or the silica...

Carnations, aaaaah yes, we also used to and still do color them up with floral spray paint! Ya grab the boogers by the bud and just spray the fringes of the petals in a complimentary color....when they open they are pretty awesome! Carnations will dry fair to midlan if hung upsidown, but white will turn brown and best dried when partially open. They do ok in silica sand as well.

Here's some Artemesia silverking that was just hung in field bunches upsidown and air dried. They are a joy to dry and easy too. After they are dried we sleeve them and tie with a bow and they are ready to go! I do babysbreath, strawflowers, gomphrena and statices the same way.

Peonies are a great one to dry and that will hold their color for a good time. The pinks, reds are great as once dry they look like roses. White will turn brown. Same method, cut the stems and hang upsidown and whalah! Takes a few days to dry them in warm weather and you must do them when they are only partially open as some will open more while drying and especially if you want that rosebud look otherwise they get too loosing their petals if dried in a too open stage.

Has anyone tried using the microwave or a food dehydrator on flowers? Or the reeds??? I have heard of people doing it, but wonder what the success is!

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America