Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Self-contained Box Gardens: Plants4myPots picture (Is potting soil supposed to be so muddy?)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Plants4myPots

Subject: Is potting soil supposed to be so muddy?

Forum: Self-contained Box Gardens

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of Is potting soil supposed to be so muddy?
Plants4myPots wrote:
Hello!

Last Sunday, I planted three nasturtium seedlings in their sprouting pellets to a windowbox, filled with (OK, everyone shudder) some cheap potting soil from Country Farms. This morning I realized that I'd tamped down the soil too tight in the box, so I stirred it all up to loosen it, watered them, and tried to stir the soil a little more, 'cuz I'm a newbie and I just wanted to fuss with the dirt.

That's when I noticed how sticky and muddy the soil seems to be. It doesn't seem right. It isn't like Miracle Grow Potting Mix at all - not that I expected it to be... all the info I see on Nasturtiums says they like poor soil - so I thought the cheapo potting soil would be good. There isn't a whole lot of the mulch-y bits in it. Maybe I should get some mulch and mix it in? Or can anyone recommend another product for me to switch the plants into before they get too big, or I kill them or something. Some of the leaves were getting a little curly and yellow too - which got me worried on such small plants...

Here's what they look like... I put some 2" wide ceramic bisque tubes lengthwise in the bottom of the planter to take up space and help drain.

Any suggestions?

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America