Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Flowers: Darsgarden picture (My Red Hot Poker has never flowered!)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Darsgarden

In reply to: My Red Hot Poker has never flowered!

Forum: Beginner Flowers

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of My Red Hot Poker has never flowered!
Darsgarden wrote:
In response to Lady Beetle I wanted to share my experience in Zone 8 NW Austin TX.

I moved to Cedar Park in 2004. I also have a patch of Red Hot Poker plants - only 1 was large at that time and bloomed for maybe 3 or 4 years. I was very excited every Spring for the bloom is spectacular. I'm attaching a picture. My lighting also was dappled and I haven't had a bloom since 2007. I too questioned why? We had much rain in March '07- well over our normal. The large plant is no longer there and what I have left still appear to be juvenile. I was hoping I would see a bloom this year. No luck. I understand this plant is from Africa and in my situation my lighting has changed. It's still dappled but receives more light than when it bloomed in '04' 05 '06.

When plants aren't performing I have had good experience in moving them. Unfortuantely it takes a whole season is see the results and that means time. If the situation isn't better within 2 years it's time to make another move. Researching the plants needs and your local conditions will help you make a better choice as to what they might be lacking.

Thank you for reminding me that I too need to research this problem. Look forward to reading future posts especially those from Texas.

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America