Photo by Melody

Beginner Vegetables: Ozark picture (Okra)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Ozark

Subject: Okra

Forum: Beginner Vegetables

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of Okra
Ozark wrote:
I'm real happy with the way my okra is doing this year. I'm trying Cajun Delight this time - the plants are supposed to be shorter and more productive than my usual Clemson Spineless.

I planted according to instructions on the seed pack, one seed every four inches so I only had 1/3 of a 25' row. Conditions must have been just right because every seed sprouted, so about a month ago I thinned them by transplanting - and now I have a whole 25' row.

Not a gardening question but - you Southerners and okra experts, please tell me how you bread and fry your okra. I grew up on fried okra but I'm not the cook, and my wife is a good cook who grew up in Brooklyn so she never learned about frying okra (though we both love the stuff).

My grandma made it best, and as I remember she washed the pods and cut them into 1/2" pieces and laid them on a towel on the counter. She'd put flour, salt, pepper, and maybe a little corn meal in a paper bag, shake it, then take the breaded okra out and fry it. The coating on the okra was real thin, it'd turn golden brown, and you got mostly the flavor of the okra and not the breading.

The problem we''ve had for years is that our okra pieces are slimy and they pick up too much breading - then a lot of it falls off during frying. The final result is that we get so much fried breading we can hardly taste the okra - and that ain't right.

Did grandma maybe let the okra sit out for a while and dry before breading? Did she pat it dry with a towel first?

Please forgive the non-gardening question, but I think I've got a bumper crop of okra coming this season and my wife and I would really like to know how to fix it better. Thanks.

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America