Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Voting Booth: Emma75 picture (Who is your best assistant in your garden?)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Emma75

In reply to: Who is your best assistant in your garden?

Forum: Voting Booth

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of Who is your best assistant in your garden?
Emma75 wrote:
Acfrancis, I have SEVERAL cats, and they have 24/7 access to their nip with a very effective method I devised out of sheer desperation. I also use the same method for my potted plants on the porch and inside since that used to be a favorite napping spot (and litter box, with the larger planters), and I therefore lost a ton of plants!

I started out by creating domes of chicken wire with the catnip, to keep the rootball safe. This is difficult to weed around, though, and eventually becomes smooshed. One day I had an epiphany, and it has been ridiculously successful! I buy the hanging baskets with the coconut liner, and put it upside-down on the plant. I shimmy the rim about 1/2" below soil level, and in the case of the nip I also use 3-4 lanscape fabric pins to secure it even more. The cats have access to everything that grows outside the basket, but no amount of eating or wallowing can kill the plant. With being able to keep them as perennials like this, and using organic fertilizer, I have the most poten nip imaginable! It's so strong that a cat with almost no sense of smell, belonging to someone I work with, actually gets high from it!

The plant in the photo is two years old.

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America