Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Heucheras: A conversation with Heuchera breeder Dan Heims: NEILMUIR1 picture (At Last!)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright NEILMUIR1

Subject: At Last!

Forum: Article: Heucheras: A conversation with Heuchera breeder Dan Heims

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of At Last!
NEILMUIR1 wrote:
At last someone has written about these forgotten and misunderstood plants, well done!
When I was doing my Apprenticeship in Horticulture for the Parks Department, they sent me to a wonderful Victorian park, this had lots of Heuchera planted in the shady bits of the shrubberies.
At first I did not know what they were but soon learnt. I was constantly asked by the public, what these wonderfully coloured ground cover plants were, and although i could tell them, they used to moan that they could not get hold of them.
There was no internet then so you could not look them up, or anywhere to get them. The R.H.S. gardens at Wisley used to sell some, but that is quite at trip.
We have two garden centres near us; one is just a plant shopping supermarket with nearly everything on sale that is not even plant related and the plants are not in very good condition. If you ask a staff member for a plant in its Scientific name, they think you are from another planet, that is if they can get there headphones from their ipods off.
The other used to be nursery and has become a bit more like a garden centre, there plants are excellent and they know what you are talking about, se we are luck there!
This year I took my wife to the Chelsea flower show, and to my surprise and utmost pleasure there was a whole stand of Heuchera.
I took a picture or two, so here is one of them.
Regards form England.
Neil.

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America