Photo by Melody

Seed Germination: scicciarella picture (When to sow spreadsheet!)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright scicciarella

In reply to: When to sow spreadsheet!

Forum: Seed Germination

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of When to sow spreadsheet!
scicciarella wrote:
when winter sowing I like to use milk jugs but I cut the bottoms off and sink them into the grown where I want the plant to grow that way in spring I just remove the jug top and voila there is the plant and it is a great way of doing poppies without having to transplant them since they do not like it

and perennial poppies are easier to start in august since that is when the seed is ready and is naturally spread and it germinates and stays green under the snow for the winter for flowers the next spring

what is important is that you know your calender for your area first your last frost date then on the calender count back the weeks four, six, eight, ten, twelve and so on then sort your seeds by the number of weeks before last frost do not forget to calculate and include the amount of time to germinate which is usually a week to two weeks some longer, then sort the seeds by how long to germination and size of seed it makes it easier if you are using flats, so annuals small seeds all in one flat, then medium then large, same for perennials so you can use a done to keep in humidity which is more important than temperature if indoors the dome will keep the humidity constant so the seed germination is not dried out which kills more seeds than anything else, start with a moist not wet soil for germination, then use a spray bottle to spritz to keep the right moister, and it will happen

I have grown plants from seed for most of my life and I find it totally amazing every year to start off with these little seeds and end up with the most beautifull flowers

started this lisianthus last january it was a long road since they take a very long time to grow, and the seedling so small that I was not seeing them at first but just one bloom would have been worth the effort but I got eight different colors and lots and lots of blooms

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America