Beginner Gardening: Driftwood, 1 by pirl

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright pirl

Subject: Driftwood

Forum: Beginner Gardening

Back to post
Photo of Driftwood
pirl wrote:
With our 14 beaches in the Town of Southold many have driftwood but there is one beach that has such lovely pieces after big storms. The largest piece I found one January day as I just strolled the beach in the sunshine. It's hollow and that made it simple to get home. I'll attach a photo of my big find.

At first I just featured the driftwood with pots around it (pictures will follow) and then decided to fill the void with plants and prefer that look. Next year it will be filled with Pennisetum Rubrum, coleus to match (Solar Shade), possibly a fern and definitely a very dark dahlia like Arabian Night.

While vacationing in the Bahamas we found a very nice small piece and I managed to get it home without a question or problem, thankfully. Photo will follow.

We found another long piece with a blackened head, from kids have a beach party no doubt, and it appears to me to be a black faced shark sans fins while my husband thinks it looks more like a pterodactyl without wings. Haven't yet decided where to feature it. A photo will follow.

This past Sunday we came home with more pieces and while one is simply to replace a rotted piece we brought home in '92 and has been placed already, the other one is more challenging. When I put it where I thought it would look good I felt it looked more like a broken section of tree so I'll have to do some pruning on it.

Quite interesting applications of driftwood here:

Here's a really nice site with great ideas:

This has some thought provoking ideas though the thought of spending $1,153. for a mirror trimmed in driftwood is a bit much. Maybe it will end up being a winter project for me.

This site has real driftwood - very interesting pieces:

Found this site for some interesting ideas though the driftwood is manufactured:

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America