Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Seed Germination: blomma picture (When to sow spreadsheet!)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright blomma

In reply to: When to sow spreadsheet!

Forum: Seed Germination

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of When to sow spreadsheet!
blomma wrote:
Reading the data base, I noticed that it recommended freezing Daylily seeds prior to seeding. That is incorrect. Freezing alone does nothing. What is needed is cold and moisture to mimic nature and force it out of dormancy when exposed to warmer temp.

What I do is soak Daylily seeds overnight in hand hot water. Then, place in a moist kitchen paper towel and insert in a zip lock baggie. Store in fridge for 3 weeks. Often the seeds will sprout in the fridge. Remove to germinate at room temp. When the seeds have sprouted, plant them in a sowing mix to continue growing. They can also be WS to sprout in the spring.

Although in the same genus, all varieties of Penstemon don't require the same germination technique. Some varieties are difficult and require warmth before stratification. Others need the opposite.

Bearded Iris is a great candidate for WS. Soak in water for 3 weeks to remove sprouting inhibitors. Change the water every day. Once done, sow using your favorite WS method. Iris seeds will sprout when the outdoor temp remains at 50 to 55 degrees.

Asclepias require stratification to germinate (moist cold).

Here are two good germination data bases.

http://www.backyardgardener.com/tm.html

http://www.robsplants.com/seed/germination.php

Below is daylily seeds sprouting in a paper towel just prior to potting up. I sowed these in October 09. They are now 3" tall growing in a 3" pot under plant light.

This message was edited Feb 6, 2010 10:17 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America