Photo by Melody

Article: Sassafras: jamieos picture (Cute)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright jamieos

In reply to: Cute

Forum: Article: Sassafras

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of Cute
jamieos wrote:
Interesting all the info on sassafras trees. When we moved here in the late 60s there were three somewhat young sassafras trees below the house in the lawn. At some point my husband, who thought trees were scrubby said he was going to cut them down. Over my dead body said I, and they are still there ornamenting the lower lawn. I always loved the leaf shape, and since our land is mostly maples with a few oak thrown in far from the house, the sassafras trees have provided welcome variety.

However the trees do drop a lot of seed and there are always a number of seedlings in the spring that do get mowed down eventually, but underground runners? Could these "seedlings" be in reality sprouts from underground runners? I must say I do not spend a lot of time around these trees, having quite enough to do to care for my 2 long L-shaped borders, borders around the house (no foundation planting) and my fenced Secret Garden, which is mostly roses.

If I can find some pics I took of the Three Girls - the name I gave the sassafras trees - I will upload them to the Dave's Garden site. Couldn't find the pic I had in mind (it was 10 years ago!) but here are the "Girls" behind the deer that plagued us in 2000. I will have to make a point of taking more photos of the sassafras trees this year!

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America