Photo by Melody

Voting Booth: What kind of wildlife is in your pond?, 1 by bonehead

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright bonehead

In reply to: What kind of wildlife is in your pond?

Forum: Voting Booth

Back to post
Photo of What kind of wildlife is in your pond?
bonehead wrote:
In my small molded garden pond, I keep goldfish, frogs come on their own, and the occasional snake slithers through. My last batch of fish was entering its 3rd season with no fatalities, but about a week ago something ate half of them. They are only 15 cents apiece at the feed store, so not a huge investment, and some are quite beautiful.

We also have a large in-stream farm pond in our lower field which has all sorts of native wildlife - fish, clams, ducks, heron, eagles, kingfishers, blackbirds, tons of frogs, and even an occasional river otter family. We unfortunately also have beavers, which do no end of damage and flooding, but it's a perfect habitat for them so we try to coexist... I'm sure we have other mammals as well (deer, coons, possums, squirrels), but I don't ever see them, likely because there is acres of woods behind the pond for protection. We regularly hear the coyotes and owls, and occasionally spot them.

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America