Photo by Melody

Voting Booth: bonehead picture (What kind of wildlife is in your pond?)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright bonehead

In reply to: What kind of wildlife is in your pond?

Forum: Voting Booth

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of What kind of wildlife is in your pond?
bonehead wrote:
In my small molded garden pond, I keep goldfish, frogs come on their own, and the occasional snake slithers through. My last batch of fish was entering its 3rd season with no fatalities, but about a week ago something ate half of them. They are only 15 cents apiece at the feed store, so not a huge investment, and some are quite beautiful.

We also have a large in-stream farm pond in our lower field which has all sorts of native wildlife - fish, clams, ducks, heron, eagles, kingfishers, blackbirds, tons of frogs, and even an occasional river otter family. We unfortunately also have beavers, which do no end of damage and flooding, but it's a perfect habitat for them so we try to coexist... I'm sure we have other mammals as well (deer, coons, possums, squirrels), but I don't ever see them, likely because there is acres of woods behind the pond for protection. We regularly hear the coyotes and owls, and occasionally spot them.

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America