Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Sustainable Alternatives: jujubetexas picture (Do you have green roofs in your city?)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright jujubetexas

In reply to: Do you have green roofs in your city?

Forum: Sustainable Alternatives

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of Do you have green roofs in your city?
jujubetexas wrote:
I have been wanting to do something about our guest house for a few years. This was supposed to be a little shed and ended up being 800 sq feet and 24 feet tall. I built it over the course of 8 months with a little help from my brother and wife. The back roof is South facing and gets really hot.

It is too steep to put soil but I plan on running wires back and forth and growing Maypop Passion Vines all over it. The vines grew on to the metal roof of the main house this year and did not seem bothered by the scorching heat. This will shade the roof during the summer and since it is deciduous, it will allow it to get heat in the winter.

Since Maypops drop their fruit when ripe, they will roll down the roof and we can gather them on the ground.

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America