Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beekeeping: beckygardener picture (I have a bee hive)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright beckygardener

In reply to: I have a bee hive

Forum: Beekeeping

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of I have a bee hive
beckygardener wrote:
I don't have bee hives ... wish I could, but I do grow lots of plants for the butterflies and hummingbirds in my area. The one plant that I see lots of honey bees around all day long is my Pink Gaura bush! Those bees are out there at the crack of dawn all over the tiny blooms and then come back constantly throughout the day till almost dark. My plant got too tall and lanky that I had to trim it back. Of course, that meant cutting what blooms were left. No bees hardly at all in my yard after that, except on some Zinnias and Cosmos and few other plants. Within two weeks, the Guara came back with tons of blooms and once again the bees were back! There are so many on that plant, that I can hear them buzzing 20 feet away before I even reach that area. The bees really love those little blooms. Perhaps you could plant a few of these bushes around your yard as well? You do have to trim them back occasionally, but they are rather attractive in full bloom which seems to be every day! :-)

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America