Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Self-contained Box Gardens: gessieviolet picture (E-Bucket thread continued here)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright gessieviolet

In reply to: E-Bucket thread continued here

Forum: Self-contained Box Gardens

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of E-Bucket thread continued here
gessieviolet wrote:
John, I started out using a set up similar to what you have in mind, but used a lid pushed with a 6" flower pot packed with mix for the wick. If you use the basket (White thing) I would use 2 of them in the bottom of the container so that there is a relatively small amount of your mix in the water area. (don't know, but) you may have to cut the end off one to make both fit in the box.

Also cover the white baskets with something to keep mix out of them since they have such large slots in the sides. An old towel, piece of weed barrier, or even newspaper would probably work. Also use 2 drain holes (at least 1/4") equal distance from the bottom of the container, space about 6 inches from the end. Be sure to use some kind of channel to your reservoir (a drinking straw or 1/4" rigid tubing would be fine) So mix doesn't stop your drainage.

I came up with the eBucket as a result of the good results I had with tomatoes in a storage container like this. My idea was that I wanted something smaller for part of my gardening. I grew tomatoes (2 in each box) that grew over 10 ft high and got a few 1 lb+ fruits and oodles of smaller ones, before really hot weather set in. Here is a picture of peppers growing in the container.
Lane

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America