Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: cestrum_SEQ picture (Brugmansia - summer)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright cestrum_SEQ

In reply to: Brugmansia - summer

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of Brugmansia - summer
cestrum_SEQ wrote:
Hmmm, I don't see champaca mentioned in the list of ingredients at all. And if it were, it would be lost among scents from all the other plants. I think the vendors' descriptions are a complete furphy! Anyway, there is nothing sickly about the champaca flowers--light fresh floral fragrance, never cloying. You won't find it sickly sweet, I guarantee.

I have yet to smell *real* ylang ylang, as none of my Cananga odorata trees has yet flowered. The dwarf one doesn't count. I see that an ebay vendor selling the dwarf plant says that it's used for making perfume, but I can guarantee that no perfume is made from the dwarf one. I had another sniff of mine in the heavy humidity of early morning--surely the ideal conditions, as close to its natural climate at you can get--and if I stuck my nose right into the flower I could smell the faintest lemony fragrance. Pleasant, sure, but very weak. (I've found the white champaca to be weaker in fragrance than the yellow species, BTW...)

No congrats needed on the champaca seedlings--they're all volunteers as the brug pots are growing by my largest tree. I intend to pull them out because three champaca trees is enough even for me! There are worse weeds though :-)

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America