Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

High Yield Gardening: Garden_Healing picture (High Yield Gardening in Raised Beds)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Garden_Healing

In reply to: High Yield Gardening in Raised Beds

Forum: High Yield Gardening

bookmark
Back to post
Garden_Healing wrote:
I have spent a ridiculous amount of time this week trying to figure out how to start my seeds. This is my first full season with my organic garden and given our short growing season in Boston I will need to start most of my garden indoors. I had no equipment and no space for the seeds I ambitiously purchased at the end of last season. After much salivating over the all in one systems at Gardener's http://www.gardeners.com/T-5-Jumpstart-3Tier/IndoorGardening... I finally settled on a cheap makeshift solution. I bought a 5 shelf (3 ft x 2 ft x 6 ft) utility cart, multiple cheap closet fluorescent lights (the shop lights only came in 4 ft and the grow lamps were expensive), and full spectrum T8 fluorescent bulbs. I will buy a few of the Hydrofarm JSV2 2-Foot Jump Start T5 Grow Light System when I save up, but in the meantime my system is 1/5th the price. I am using an all organic seedstarting system with dot pots and organic seedstarting mix. I got my plan all together so I know exactly how many seedlings I will need using the garden planner from growveg at http://www.growveg.com. Turns out I'm a few weeks late for starting my broc, cauliflower, and cabbage. Hopefully, they'll germinate quickly.

This message was edited Feb 23, 2011 4:07 AM

This message was edited Feb 23, 2011 2:39 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America