Photo by Melody

High Yield Gardening: mraider3 picture (High Yield Gardening in Raised Beds)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright mraider3

In reply to: High Yield Gardening in Raised Beds

Forum: High Yield Gardening

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of High Yield Gardening in Raised Beds
mraider3 wrote:
The third picture is of two rows of tomato cages in the garden taken last November. There are a total of 14 cages in each of the 60 foot rows. Of note is the drip feed irrigation system which is designed for both tomato and pepper plants. The 1/2-inch flexible plastic piping has attached a piece of 2 ft 1/4-inch plastic piping connected to a spiked drip feeder for each cage. The 1/2-inch plastic piping is tied to a stake on either end to keep it from snaking or coiling on hot summer days. The half inch plastic flexible piping comes in several thichnesses. I prefer the heavier piping which is also used in the underground feeder for my 20 risers. The heavier flexible piping does not tend to coil as badly on hot days as the thinner walled, and itís easier to punch holes in without going clear through the pipe to the other side. I would also recommend punching the holes for attachment pieces when pipe is cold.

Not shown in this picture are the two extra pieces of five foot long rebar used to hold the cages in place during the early spring. Until the plants have had the opportunity to fill out the cages, the cages are susceptible to frequent high winds, sometimes exceeding 50 mph. The extra rebar is placed at 120 degrees around the outside of the cages but not attached to the cage. The two extra pieces of rebar are typically removed about mid-June when the covers come off and the plants have filled their cages.

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America