Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

High Yield Gardening: Gymgirl picture (High Yield Gardening in Raised Beds)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Gymgirl

In reply to: High Yield Gardening in Raised Beds

Forum: High Yield Gardening

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of High Yield Gardening in Raised Beds
Gymgirl wrote:
Here's a picture of the PBFs I use in the container mix, after I've sifted it. The PB for his 5:1:1 container mix (PBF:peat:perlite) should ideally be from dust size to no more than nickel-size. It almost looks just like the MG potting mix, but without the moisture retaining, "spongey-ness" to it.

I use a 1/2" wire screen to sift out the chunky pieces for my containers. Most of the sifted bark is from dust to slices averaging the size of a nickel.

Per Al's recommendation, I customized his 5:1:1 container mix recipe to a 3:1:1 for my eBuckets, and self-watering containers, to increase the peat to PB ratio for more of a "wicking" action from the peat. The self-watering containers have the built in reservoirs in the containers. (His 5:1:1 recipe is design for use in free draining containers.) I use Miracle Grow (MG) potting mix as my peat component, per Al's suggestion (and because I already had loads of it on hand), but you can go with sphagnum peat as well. I can also go with a 4:1:1 mix, depending on how good my "wicking" action works.

Hugs!

This message was edited Mar 17, 2011 8:52 AM

This message was edited Mar 17, 2011 8:54 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America