Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Poultry and Livestock: mevnmart picture (Crossing Breeds)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright mevnmart

Subject: Crossing Breeds

Forum: Poultry and Livestock

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of Crossing Breeds
mevnmart wrote:
I'm not sure how the whole chicken breeding thing works. I have four roosters - three are buff orpingtons the other is an unknown banty type (I've attached his picture). I have two banty hens, both of which are mega broody right now. One is a gray cochin looking one, the other, I have no idea. Some have said Welsummer? (sp) Anyway, can you take a rooster and a hen that are not the same breed and mate them? The banty roo actually has two "girlfriends" - I can tell because of the bare spots above their tails on their backs. They are full-sized hens! (White leghorn and silver penciled Wyandotte). Can a banty cross with a standard hen? What about the Buff Os? I only have one Buff O hen, and I was thinking of putting her and another hen in with one of the B.O. roos, but again, I don't know if that will work! I've got a huge mix of hens. Barred Rocks, Brown and White Leghorns, one Americauna, RIRs, Sex Links and one Polish Crested. There are some that I have no clue what they are (I got them as banded pullets at Atwoods (a farm store). Advice?

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America