Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Homesteading: CricketsGarden picture (Building a Home )

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright CricketsGarden

Subject: Building a Home

Forum: Homesteading

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of Building a Home
CricketsGarden wrote:
We were going to build a home using landscape timbers= a Timber Home= but decided not to.
It will be a standard frame with wood siding. I like wood. It's Country and I love the country life.
I guess the only country life that I would like to live without is hauling water. I like the convenience
of plumbing and running water. I have lived the life of hauling water up a hill in 5 gallon buckets and
I don't want to be there again.

Anyway= our home will have running water and electricity and a wood burning stove heater.
It will be a small home. Nothing big. We are getting old==not old yet= but when old gets here= we
want a small home with low living expenses. We decided to build a 20x48 with a laundry utility room addition
and a 8x16 office with its own entry door. AT the end of the 20x48 will be a 16x20 screen porch= Outdoor Living.
On front will be an 8x 48 deck===haven't decided if or when it will have a roof. I Like the Sun.

Brief history= Last year our mobile home burned down= May 26. 2 months later we bought another mobile home.
It was not home. Never felt like home. I didn't like it. Maybe it was the loss of the other one==maybe it would take a
while longer to feel at home in the new=used mobile home===maybe maybe==point is= i was not at home.
We sold the mobile home to build a house where the mobile was sitting. We chose to live in a 12 x24 shed=micro living= while we built our new home. Contractors are not building it===We are building it. But we get the advice and suggestions
from a few local building contractors.

Everything around here seems to be upside down==everything out of place= a mess here and a mess there and = It's just unorganized. I am an organized person and hubby is not so I have to walk behind him picking up his mess. Plus I have a greenhouse business to tend to so I am back and forth between cleaning= building= customers= planting= watering= etc..........
It is going to be a long spring and summer.

Let me show you where the house is going to be built===already in process.
When they were moving the mobile home out, the equipment broke down, and the mobile home sat here
for two weeks.= meanwhile , we had to disassemble most of the porch and deck roofs and upper level.
We put the upper level deck on the shed and took a pergola section of the deck that is not in the picture and moved
it to the end of the shed to make a laundry room.

This message was edited Apr 17, 2011 8:08 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America