Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

High Yield Gardening: HoneybeeNC picture (Mixing it up in a high yield bed)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright HoneybeeNC

In reply to: Mixing it up in a high yield bed

Forum: High Yield Gardening

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of Mixing it up in a high yield bed
HoneybeeNC wrote:
taskmasters - Growing tomatoes along the fence is a great idea. You will need some kind of twine to tie them to it as they grow - personally, I prefer Jute or Cotton twine which I purchase from WMart.

Set them about two feet apart in deep, well-drained soil to which you have added compost, or other organic matter. I add fertilizer to the bottom of each hole, and thoroughly mix it with the surrounding soil. To prevent blossom end rot, I add seabird guano, crab shell, and a little dolomite lime to organic fertilizer that is not too high in nitrogen.

I continue to fertilize the plants every two weeks or so. Pull back the mulch, sprinkle fertilizer around each plant, carefully scratch the fertilizer into the soil, and put back the mulch.

Because it gets so hot here, my tomatoes are pretty much done by August. I usually get my first ripe one around July 4th.

Keep the soil around and under your tomatoes comfortably damp to prevent the fruit from cracking. Once the tomatoes have settled in, and, preferably after a heavy rain, add a couple of inches of mulch around each plant. Replace the mulch as it breaks down.

I harvest several hundred pounds of tomatoes every year - most of which I cook and freeze to make hubby his favorite chili.

This photo was taken July 5th 2010 - it's my Tomato Jungle!

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America