Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

High Yield Gardening: texasrockgarden picture (13 Gal Pots and Raised Box Beds, Some With Straw Bales)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright texasrockgarden

In reply to: 13 Gal Pots and Raised Box Beds, Some With Straw Bales

Forum: High Yield Gardening

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of 13 Gal Pots and Raised Box Beds, Some With Straw Bales
texasrockgarden wrote:
Whee! It's been a busy month. The hot unforgiving wind is beginning to take its toll on the garden.

Maters are about 85% harvested. Squash plants have been pulled and fed to the chickens. I have enjoyed lots and lots of fried squash. All the greens are long gone to the chicken pen. The bountiful onion crop has been harvested and put under the shed to cure. The garlic is out of the ground and curing. I'm still getting a few carrots, but they are starting to lose there sweetness. Peppers are starting to kick into high gear. They like hot weather if you can water so as to get their roots deep. My one eggplant is doing great with lots of eggplants. Cukes have done pretty well so far. I seemed to have lost my magic wan for growing okra. It has been a struggle to get plants to grow large enough to produce. Same thing last year. There is still time and I'll keep planting in different places until I get it right.

A word about the Bhut Jolokia pepper, it is hot. However, I added two chopped Bhuts to 7 pints of Ball's Zesty Salsa recipe and it turned out just right for my taste buds. I am looking forward to making some hot vinegar sauce using one or two Bhuts per bottle. I use the hot vinegar sauce with olive oil to dress my tomato, cuke, & onion salads. Tis the season!

Long days - up at dawn to turn out the chickens, put the chicks to bed at dark, can until midnight. I am just about ready for a short rest.

My first cannings since the early eighties. It didn't take long to get back into the groove. The Tomato Gods have been good to me this year.

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America