Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: schickenlady picture (Is sawdust good for a vegetable garden?)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright schickenlady

In reply to: Is sawdust good for a vegetable garden?

Forum: Beginner Vegetables

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of Is sawdust good for a vegetable garden?
schickenlady wrote:
Well here we go. I can get all the saw dust I want for free as my husband works in a lumber mill. They saw, oak, beech, different maples, ash and cherry. In other words, hard woods.

I have been searching the web for info on saw dust gardening and there is not much. I keep hearing it will rob your garden of nitrogen and the hard woods are better then the soft, pine etc.

My husband has delt with shavings and sawdust and wood all his life. He said he has seen people use it and have no problems. This is what he told me.

1. Dont pack it around the stalk of your plants. Leave 6-8 inches.
2. Put it on 3-4 inches high.
3. Never use green/raw saw dust. Let it set for at least a year.
4. In the fall put more cow manure in and have it rototilled. Cover it for the winter.

So now that I have put it all on I am going to keep my eye on my veggie garden. Maybe I should start another thread else where as I am not a beginner.

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America