Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: schickenlady picture (Is sawdust good for a vegetable garden?)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright schickenlady

In reply to: Is sawdust good for a vegetable garden?

Forum: Beginner Vegetables

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of Is sawdust good for a vegetable garden?
schickenlady wrote:
Thanks, there is more then tomato's. As I stated I have been searching for information on the Web and there really is not a lot and then when I do find things a lot of it contradicts itself. I found this post that was started: April 30, 2009 and the Thread had a short life.

As of tomorrow Wed, June 14th we have had rain every day. With very little sun. I just went out and scraped it with my hand its about 1/4" wet. So with that fact comes the next question. Will the sprinkler system work or will I have to hand water?

The sawdust is not mixed with manure. The garden is loaded. In the fall manure will be spreaded around and rototilled in and covered. In the springtime, the sawdust should be totally composted. (I hope). That is a long time away! :-)

I highly doubt termites would take the plunge up here in sawdust. If they did or anywhere, sawmills would be infested. This is dead decaying stuff.

Since it sat a year is not sellable to farmers for their animals for bedding, it will not take up the animal waste like it should.

I guess I am a guinea pig here and taking it one step at a time. If I loose this garden I will not be a happy gardener and my husband will have a tomato stalk wrapped around his neck. :-) Just kidding.

I have been putting the sawdust on one pail at a time for 3 weeks. Finally finished yesterday. Pests are down, it feels like your walking on a cloud and it dont take long to weed. Oh and it feels really neat barefooted.

Bad part - I am very leary and watching it very close.

Pic - 1/4" down wet.

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America