Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Homesteading: CricketsGarden picture (Building a Home )

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright CricketsGarden

In reply to: Building a Home

Forum: Homesteading

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of Building a Home
CricketsGarden wrote:
Thanks Freedom.

CajunKy= I noticed that this dinette had a very thin coat of varnish/polyurethane when I bought it and I noticed that others who had the same dinette was loosing their finish coat after a few years. When I bought mine, I put two extra coats of polyurethane on it and if I had not, the finish coat would of been ruined in the fire. Thanks to those two extra coats, I was able to save its appearance. This winter when I am bored, I will lightly sand it and give it two more coats.
I want to buy some extra chairs like those cause 1. my daughter law rested her feet on the little leg rails and broke one.
2. I also saved a Secretary Desk that has the same lion claw legs and I think it needs a chair like the dinette set has. 3. One of the chairs that was in the fire still has a lot of the chemical retardant on it that I was not able to remove completely. That chemical looks white on the finish surface. Unless=== there is one chemical I have not tried using on the dinette and thats Denatured Alcohol. I used it on the Secretary Desk and it almost made it look brand new. There was colored card stock paper on the desk and when it got wet, the paper stuck to the desk and there was dark pink squares on the desk surface that I could not remove with any cleaners.. Denatured Alcohol cleaned it without hurting the finish. hmmmmmmm. forgot about that until now. (chatting helps you think)

We haven't got much done lately. Been spending money on Bills=catching those up. We still haven't got the upstairs End walls up yet but hubby says he will work on them this evening.

I will eventually put octagon windows in the office. I have one frame cut. Used 2x6s to make up for the outside insulation board and siding thickness. 8 boards were cut at 9 inches long and each of those 8 boards have a 22.5 degree angle cut on each end. How did I figure that out without reading a book? Well, The octagon is like putting together two perfect squares. When cutting angles to put together a perfect square you use a 45 degree angle.
Since this was two squares I thought maybe I should divide my degree in half(divided by 2) and I got it right.
I will use Liquid Nail to put the boards together perfectly then let that dry then nail them together. Liquid Nail helps me position them perfectly before nailing. It's very aggravating to nail something like this with so many pieces. If you get one piece wrong , it's heck removing the nail and repositioning it. But , using liquid nail means I need a level surface, secret hiding place away from children and dogs.

Everyone knows what an octagon looks like but I still had to take a picture. These are just sitting in place = not connected yet.

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America