Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Sewing and Quilting: melody picture (Techniques for transforming fabric with color)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright melody

In reply to: Techniques for transforming fabric with color

Forum: Sewing and Quilting

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of Techniques for transforming fabric with color
melody wrote:
My Mom is still with me, and at 82, she tells the story of when she came home from school (she went back for her teaching degree in 1970) and found me tie dyeing my bedspread and curtains in her washing machine (I was about 14 at the time) She was NOT impressed. I didn't know till later that the curtains weren't meant to be washed...they fell apart in the washer....

I use Dharma Trading and Pro Dye for all of my dyes. (warning...freeze your credit cards in a block of ice before visiting these links. I am not responsible for the charges incurred!!)

Dharma gets my mail order business and Pro always sets up at the Paducah Quilt Show, so I give them a big chunk then. (I like to support the vendors that come to Paducah)

Pro Chemical: http://www.prochemicalanddye.com/home.php
Dharma: http://www.dharmatrading.com/

Both are excellent vendors and I've never had a minute's trouble out of either.

On cotton fabric, I use fiber-reactive dyes. The fabric is soaked in a soda ash/water solution and I mix the dye in squirt bottles. (my hairdresser saves perm solution bottles for me. They work great...and I have a bunch of the clear mustard/ ketchup bottles that you get at Wal Mart for a buck, for larger amounts. I also have a collection of plastic pipettes with a bulb on the end for little areas.

The tied stuff gets squeezed out and blotted with a towel. I can then drip and drizzle the dye where I want it. (for tied items) For the large things, I use an old cheap water bath canner...works perfect and you can usually pick one up at a yard sale for pennies. This works great for old linen tablecloths too...I buy the ones that have yellow spots for almost nothing and overdye them...spiffs them right up.

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America