Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Sewing and Quilting: melody picture (Techniques for transforming fabric with color)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright melody

In reply to: Techniques for transforming fabric with color

Forum: Sewing and Quilting

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of Techniques for transforming fabric with color
melody wrote:
Ok, who is interested?

I can do 3 primaries and black fiber reactive dyes (the kind of dye that did your charms that I sent) for roughly $10.00, including shipping. I can add colors for about 60 cents per unit. This will include enough dye and soda ash to do a couple of yards of fabric (maybe more) using the ice dye or the tie dye. This is the cheapest type of dyeing we can do. You'll need to supply your own fabric, containers, salt and vinegar. The price is rounded up a bit and based on 8 participants, as soon as I have a class together, I'll give you the final total, but the basic kit will be right around $10...and that includes the priority shipping (it is mostly shipping...this stuff is cheap) I suggest the basic kit and you can choose to add other colors, if I have them..at the .60 increments. I would suggest no more than 2 or 3 extras if you're feeling brave. (olive, gray, camel and mauve are all good neutrals to tone and adjust color) Too many and you'll get overwhelmed....baby steps...

What I'll do is divide the dye up into little zip locs and each zip loc will make a pint of full strength dye. You can mix your own colors once you get them liquified.

The sunprint materials will be quite a bit more expensive, so we'll hold off on those for the time being.

Are we ready? Who wants to play?

This is a sunprinted tote I made last week. The local quilt shop had us draw color swatches (from a paint store) out of a bag and you had to use only the colors on your 2 chips. I got blue and green.

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America