Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Sewing and Quilting: siliolegma picture (What are you making - almost Winter 2011??)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright siliolegma

In reply to: What are you making - almost Winter 2011??

Forum: Sewing and Quilting

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of What are you making - almost Winter 2011??
siliolegma wrote:
Hi Linda, The ruler I have is 10 degrees. It is 1 inch at the top and 5 inches at the bottom. It is
22 1/2 inches long. Walt made me an extension which makes it a total of 5 3/4 " across the bottom and 27 1/2 inches long. The longer size made it possible to make the entire cut without moving the ruler as I wanted 60 " tree skirts. Mine does include seam allowances

I made 9 strip sets, consisting of 9 strips of fabric 2 3/4 x width of fabric. For each strip set move the colors down one row, bringing the bottom color to the top. Cut 4 wedges from each strip set. There will be enough to make 2- 60" tree skirts. The inch lines going across are important as they help to keep the ruler lined up correctly with the fabric.

If you place the ruler bottom next to the previous cut, you will make an equal # of strips going in the opposite direction. They were narrower at the top so I removed the top 2 rows. These strips then made a 24" table top skirt.

The original strip sets seem like a lot of work but since you can end up with 4 tree skirts, 2 large and 2 table top it doesn't seem so bad.

Photo is of the original ruler without the extension. I would make the ruler the larger size to begin with as it is easier to manage.

This message was edited Nov 29, 2011 10:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America