Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: cestrum_SEQ picture (Brugmansia in Australia - February 2012 -#2)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright cestrum_SEQ

In reply to: Brugmansia in Australia - February 2012 -#2

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

bookmark
<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Brugmansia in Australia - February 2012 -#2
cestrum_SEQ wrote:
Well done with Ecuador Pink, Shaun: it's looking at its best.
But Jean, I wouldn't feel too bad about your EP not doing well. In the early days when I watered it assiduously and fertilised regularly, it did put on some great flushes. But since then, when I've left it to mother nature to water and fertilised it only once a year or so, it has virtually stopped flowering. I wouldn't think this is one that would grow well for you there, and certainly needs a lot more work than GHA. (Plus it's never had a scent in my garden.) So it's very pretty when it's in full flush but needs a lot of work to get that way.
Shaun, what is your 'double white'? Is it knightii? You can really see the aurea in those blooms. Next step ...? Cross them with some coloured brugs to get an aurea-type pink or yellow? Or, if you have > 1 seedling with this cross, cross them with each other?
Bad news about that pod on (Aztec Gold 2009#3) x (Old Apricot x Butterbomb): the pod withered prematurely and most of the seeds inside are white and clearly unviable. Being suaveolens-style (i.e. small) anyway, I couldn't peel them to check but they seem flat (i.e. empty) inside. Anyway, I sowed them immediately on the off chance that there might be one viable kernel in the pod, but I doubt it.

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America