Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: cestrum_SEQ picture (Brugmansia in Australia - February 2012 -#2)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright cestrum_SEQ

In reply to: Brugmansia in Australia - February 2012 -#2

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

bookmark
<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Brugmansia in Australia - February 2012 -#2
cestrum_SEQ wrote:
Chrissy, those four photos of Pink Smitty seedling/s: are they from four different seedlings of the same PS cross?

Dianne, the seedlings in the foam box were growing right alone the edge so, when I sprinkled the bicarb of soda, I had to sprinkle it over them. Alas, it had the opposite effect it has on cakes: it made them collapse! Yes, they wilted the next day and died. Just wasn't possible to create a barrier in that situation. Never mind, more seedlings from that cross have germinated so it was worth the experiment. Lesson learned: don't sprinkle it on the seedlings themselves!

I hadn't intended to take that series of pics of Fifi. But I was out there watering and thought the splayed tendrils on the white bloom looked particularly pretty. Then, half an hour later, I noticed that the tendrils had curled so had to fetch the camera again. Then, at dusk, I saw that the bloom had turned pick so back with the camera for one last pic that evening.

While I was there, I saw that PS x D had a white bloom too, so took a photo of that and another this morning, after it had turned pink. Then of course I had to compare it with Fifi. Fifi is the larger bloom. They both have a talcum musk powder perfume but (so far) PS x D smells noticeably stronger.

Ooops--the first two photos labelled Fifi are actually PS x D, in white and pink mode. The last photo showing both is correctly labelled.

This message was edited Feb 19, 2012 1:41 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America