Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Poultry and Livestock: gallesfarm picture (New chicks (some with issues))

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright gallesfarm

Subject: New chicks (some with issues)

Forum: Poultry and Livestock

bookmark
<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of New chicks (some with issues)
gallesfarm wrote:
Got our "Ornamental Layers" yesterday. Have quite a combination of cochins, polish, one mottled houdan, one gold laced wyandotte, one dorking, one buttercup (I think) and two salmon faverolles. For polish we have six WCB, one white, one buff laced, and two silver. Have one black cochin, one blue, two partridge and three buff.

The blue cochin has a bum leg that seems to go a bit sideways at the knee joint, but today she is getting around much better. These guys (gals) supposedly hatched last Friday, and I haven't seen her actually eat anything, but she's still up and around, so she must be getting something somewhere.

The black cochin looked DOA, and I dipped her beak several times, even though she was seemingly comatose, thought maybe she got a tiny bit, left her in a small plastic dish with the blue so they wouldn't get trampled, and expected her to be dead later in the day. Instead, she was upright and cheeping. But she is not eating and only drinks if I dip her beak.

One WCB polish was very small and weak and died last night.

And now one of the silver polish is looking a bit peaked this evening where up till now both of them looked fine and were bopping around like maniacs. I've made a slurry of chick starter, Quik Chik, sugar, and water, and dipped their beaks. The blue cochin and silver polish just look annoyed as they swallow some of it, the black sort of tips its head back and opens and closes its beak and I guess it swallowed some.

Last night the only way I could get any sleep was to take the blue and the black cochin, who were distressedly cheeping very loudly, and lay back on the couch and make a little "cave" on my chest with my hands, and they snuggled underneath and were quiet. I think I got two hours of sleep that way.

I'm not sure what the black cochin is living on either. It hasn't eaten anything as far as I can tell.

Anyway, here are some photos.

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America