Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Seachanger picture (It's Brugmansia time.....let's see your beauties.)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Seachanger

In reply to: It's Brugmansia time.....let's see your beauties.

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of It's Brugmansia time.....let's see your beauties.
Seachanger wrote:
Well done on getting those green cuttings to grow, cestrum....they have a little hydroponic type grower in Europe, that is catching on for bulk cuttings...just little green pieces and they grow like weeds...

Where to start......well I used the RFP pollen on the PP flower early this morning....you can hardly see the stigma for pollen.
I didn't need to wet the stigma, cestrum....it was receptive...my hand didn't shake, but it will when I try to collect the pollen...it's very warm now so I will wait until it gets cooler...

I will use Bruce's Pink pollen for the next one, there will be some more flowers opening soon...the current ones didn't have any pollen this morning.....I want to keep the size.....so they are the 2 obvious choices as pollen donors......but with the pollen, as the popular consensus says dust everything, that's what I will do..

I am so relieved that it got to mature....unfortunately all of the new growth coming from the fasciated part is normal.....so the fasciation in this particular instance is only temporary.... taking a cutting would only produce
normal growth. I will just leave it to grow as the rest of PP is growing...but I will keep an eye on it.

Last year when my Daphne grew a fasciated bit, I cut it off and brought it inside because it was a massive flower head....next time I'll leave it to grow.

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America