Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: cestrum_SEQ picture (It's Brugmansia time.....let's see your beauties.)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright cestrum_SEQ

In reply to: It's Brugmansia time.....let's see your beauties.

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

bookmark
<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of It's Brugmansia time.....let's see your beauties.
cestrum_SEQ wrote:
What a lovely aurea, Shaun--cute little flower with such long tendrils! You don't have to ask if this is one of the named aureas already in our gardens because it is demonstrably different. What a little treasure! (I wonder if it will produce those egg-shaped seedpods typical of brugs with a lot of aurea in them, or those slightly longer ones typical of candidas? I'm assuming you will be breeding from it, of course--how could you not LOL)

Well done, Dianne: it seems that Pink Panther will make a good breeding brug even without that magnificent flower on it. With that flower ... who knows if it carries some genetic quirk? You'll know in a couple of years :-)

Another quick-maturing pod, Dianne? Hope they grow for you ...

Meanwhile, the blooms have started in my garden. Here is the second flush on Pink Smitty x Dorthea#2. A lot of brugs look esp. beautiful when seen from underneath, as it highlights that lovely starfish-shaped quality. (Of which yours, Dianne, is a supreme example.) Not this one, though. It's one of those that looks better when viewed from above. The flowers opened overnight and are already a good pink, but should get darker over the next day or two. Last time they opened white, so I guess the warmer temps have pushed the blooms thru the white phase faster. Funny thing is that this brug is growing in the bed under the old clothesline, within a metre of that seedling that has been dropping its buds since late winter/early spring. (And they appear to be singles.) Very odd brug, that bud dropper, and I suspect it won't be worth the wait when it finally brings a bud to flower. Meanwhile, another overseas seedling is about to flower for the first time and I'll be shocked if it's anything but pink ...

Don't really understand that info about Alistair other than that he's bought(?) land in South America(?) where he intends to grow brugs, other exotics (to us) and coffee(?) ...

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America