Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Vegetables: pquinene picture (black blotches on young bell pepper plant)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright pquinene

Subject: black blotches on young bell pepper plant

Forum: Beginner Vegetables

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of black blotches on young bell pepper plant
pquinene wrote:
Please help!! I am so new to gardening.

I grew my bell pepper plants from seed (now 47 days old) and I have noticed black blotches on them; they are in 5-inch Jiffy pots with Miracle Grow potting mix and average about 3 inches tall with 6-7 leaves. I found a photo at the link below which look like my leaves WITHOUT THE YELLOW DOTS. A few days ago I found what I am pretty sure were thrip bugs. At first, I saw bright yellow ones (about 1 mm) then orange ones. I killed them by squashing the pests between my fingers, checking the plants (bell pepps and tomatoes) every hour; I think I killed no more than 15 total among 12 or so plants. Then, I read somewhere to spray the foliage with a mixture of water, vinegar and dish liquid. All 6 of my pepper plants have the black blotch; the tips of several leaves appear to have dead tissue as well. The leaves are otherwise not disfigured and the stems appear healthy (with some purple coloring which may have been from over-watering).

I have not added any fertilizer other than what is in the MG potting mix. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!

http://s1107.photobucket.com/albums/h397/kahuna_ashley/Sweet...

The pic below was taken a day before the black blotches appeared:

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America