Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Insect and Spider Identification: fritchie21 picture (CLOSED: Black fuzzy caterpillar "giving birth")

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright fritchie21

Subject: CLOSED: Black fuzzy caterpillar "giving birth"

Forum: Insect and Spider Identification

bookmark
Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of CLOSED: Black fuzzy caterpillar "giving birth"
fritchie21 wrote:
OK, so I know caterpillars don't actually give birth, since they are larvae. But today I watched the fuzzy black caterpillar I've been raising (a return to my childhood days) "give birth" to two tiny, pale-colored grub-like organisms that promptly spun themselves into little cocoons. Are the grub-like organisms some sort of internal parasite that the caterpillar just excreted? And what is the caterpillar? FYI, I live in southern California, and the caterpillar has been happily feasting on lettuce from my garden. I have no idea what other plants it might like, as I found it on my concrete patio far from any of my potted plants.

The first pic is the caterpillar, and the second pic are the two tiny cocoons (less than 1/4 inch long) of whatever came out of the caterpillar.

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America