Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Vegetables: michelleinAL picture (Best spot for a vegi garden)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright michelleinAL

Subject: Best spot for a vegi garden

Forum: Beginner Vegetables

bookmark
Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Best spot for a vegi garden
michelleinAL wrote:
My home is in North AL (zone 7), and I am planning to put in a fair sized garden area (10x20) with raised beds and border fence. On one fence side I want to espalier some apples, and on the other fence side train some raspberries or blackberries. There will also be an entry arbor to train vegis up. My property is surrounded by a 6 foot privacy fence, with what will eventually be two large trees on the far southern corner and far northern corner (a tulip poplar and autumn blaze maple). I know that the more sun the better for vegis, but folks around here have said that due to our high humidity and summer heat, some shade is also advised. That being said: taking tree shadows into consideration, should I plant my garden on the North end of the property which places it south of the privacy fence but puts morning shade on the garden? Or to the East side of my property which puts it on the west side of our fence with some possible morning shade off the fence and noontime shade off the tree? I attached a rough sketch of the backyard garden options and a sample pic along the lines of what I want to put in... Any suggestions??? Thanks!!!

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America