Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Sewing and Quilting: helenethequeen picture (Hand quilting help Please)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright helenethequeen

In reply to: Hand quilting help Please

Forum: Sewing and Quilting

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of Hand quilting help Please
helenethequeen wrote:
In going in and out of a quilt shop where they hand quilt day and night so to speak (menonites) kidding about the night. If you have batks in your mix of fabric - it is very hard on your hand to hand quilt.
What they like to do is 1/4" away from the seam on each side of the seam in the hand quilting Dept. In the long arm department meandering is prevelent. I started liking the "S stitch as well especially in childrens quilts. However when I want super pretty I use double needle sewing over the seam. Kinda SID on both sides at the same time.
Lets say you were to machine quilt from corner to corner and follow the next line 1-1/2" - 2" away all over this quilt. That's what I would do here.
Here is a tip in machine quilting: use painters tape at your discreation and machine sew on either side.....
My humble experience.

this was eventually machine quilted at the quilt shop

This message was edited Apr 23, 2012 12:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America