Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Bird Identification: petset77 picture (Trying to identify a yellow migrating bird in Colorado)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright petset77

Subject: Trying to identify a yellow migrating bird in Colorado

Forum: Bird Identification

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of Trying to identify a yellow migrating bird in Colorado
petset77 wrote:
Hi folks. This might be better directed to "Bird Files", but I couldn't find a place to ask questions there. I'm in the Sangre de Cristo mountains in southern Colorado. For the second strait spring, we have a beautiful bright yellow bird that feeds at our humming bird feeders. There are actually two this year, and they will move on in a couple of days. They look like a large American Goldfinch, without as much black on the head, and more vivid yellow. There is a little black under the beak, and wings are black with a white wing bar. It lands in the pinons with the grossbeaks, tanagers, and all the other birds feeding in the morning. It does not go near the feeders I fill with a mix of millet, thistle, and mostly black oil sunflower seed, but lands on the hummingbird feeders and drinks, sometimes hanging upside down to check surroundings. They are quite skittish, so I don't have a close up photo. I cannot find anything that looks like them in the two reference books I have. Does anyone have any ideas, based on my rough description? Thank you in advance.

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America