Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Bird Identification: petset77 picture (Trying to identify a yellow migrating bird in Colorado)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright petset77

Subject: Trying to identify a yellow migrating bird in Colorado

Forum: Bird Identification

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of Trying to identify a yellow migrating bird in Colorado
petset77 wrote:
Hi folks. This might be better directed to "Bird Files", but I couldn't find a place to ask questions there. I'm in the Sangre de Cristo mountains in southern Colorado. For the second strait spring, we have a beautiful bright yellow bird that feeds at our humming bird feeders. There are actually two this year, and they will move on in a couple of days. They look like a large American Goldfinch, without as much black on the head, and more vivid yellow. There is a little black under the beak, and wings are black with a white wing bar. It lands in the pinons with the grossbeaks, tanagers, and all the other birds feeding in the morning. It does not go near the feeders I fill with a mix of millet, thistle, and mostly black oil sunflower seed, but lands on the hummingbird feeders and drinks, sometimes hanging upside down to check surroundings. They are quite skittish, so I don't have a close up photo. I cannot find anything that looks like them in the two reference books I have. Does anyone have any ideas, based on my rough description? Thank you in advance.

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America