Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Seed Germination: Zen_Man picture (Distilled or softened water for seedlings)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Zen_Man

In reply to: Distilled or softened water for seedlings

Forum: Seed Germination

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of Distilled or softened water for seedlings
Zen_Man wrote:
Hi Michaelangelo,

"...I wonder what nutrients you would add."

Sorry for the delayed response. I'm not quite sure how that happened. I guess your plants are "drinking from the garden hose" by now. For indoor growing I use urea-free complete nutrient formulas from Better-Gro. They, like several "complete" nutrient formulas, have trace elements, but lack calcium. Actually, calcium in not a micro-nutrient, it is a macro-nutrient. I use calcium nitrate to supply calcium inside and gypsum and lawn lime to supply it outside. For extended indoor growing, I also compound some trace element formulas of my own, including cobalt and nickel. And I usually add some silicon. Even though it is not required, silicon helps strengthen cell walls and confers some disease resistance. I add it as potassium silicate in my combined complete nutrient formulation.

Incidentally, calcium is omitted from "complete" nutrient formulas because it will precipitate with phosphorous (and silicate) in concentrated form. But if you pre-dilute your nutrients, as I do, you can combine the diluted components without precipitation problems. Some water supplies contain enough calcium to make its absence in the nutrient formulas a non-problem.

ZM

This message was edited May 13, 2012 10:58 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America