Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Gardening Questions: NancyGroutsis picture (How much peat moss to lower pH?)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright NancyGroutsis

In reply to: How much peat moss to lower pH?

Forum: Beginner Gardening Questions

bookmark
<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of How much peat moss to lower pH?
NancyGroutsis wrote:
WeeNel, your comment that there is a ďbig difference between BIG Begonia and bedding Begonia you can grow from seedsĒ confused me because Iím not sure what the difference is exactly between those two species. The Begonia BIG Iím growing is Begonia benariensis which is a brand new type of wax begonia:

http://www.provenwinners.com/plants/begonia/big-rose-bronze-...

Begonia benariensis can grow up to 2 ft. high whereas previously wax begonias were much smaller. You mentioned thereís not enough time left for seeds to become flowers this year, and this may be so but my wax begonias do well indoors during the winter, so I will continue to grow my begonia seedlings however long it takes for them to flower.

You had also said, ďAsk yourself this, how has the planet survived with plants / trees/ and food crops for centuries without Peroxide, Vinegar poured onto seeds / plants.Ē Since I previously mentioned on this thread that I add peroxide and vinegar to my plants I want to note that although many plants thrive in the wild and indoors with no additives but water, nevertheless Iíve made many plants healthier by adding things like hydrogen peroxide and vinegar. Iíve attached a before and after picture of my dwarf begonias so you can see the difference between adding plain tap water and adding peroxide, vinegar, humic acid, and fertilizers. The begonias are from the same shipment, are next to the same window, and were given the same amount of water, so the difference is caused by the additives.

The Before picture has three plants, and the After picture has one plant, so one plant with the additives is more full than three plants receiving only tap water. The second picture is from the same shipment but in a low-light area so the flowers have become white due to lack of sunlight. That pot was full of mostly straggly stems with no flowers and as soon as I started adding additives it became taller, more lush and full of flowers.

These images are not photo-shopped. The difference is amazing and I will never go back to plain tap water. I provide this information out of the kindness of my heart to help gardeners get the maximum benefit for the minimum cost in time, money, and worrying.

Also, the begonias fresh from the greenhouse died soon after being placed in low light, yet with additives I can have healthy begonias even in low-light areas of my home. One begonia grew so large overflowing all parts of the container that I forgot it was a single plant and only found out when I removed it from the soil, so I experimented and chopped it in half and each part began growing healthy leaves and flowers immediately. Not all my plants are successful with this regimen but many are and Iím only a beginner gardener so I have much more to learn.

I agree with you that gardening can be enjoyable and therapeutic. Some gardeners find the scientific aspects of gardening enjoyable and therapeutic and others donít, and thatís just a personality difference. I believe in live and let live. I've gotten a lot of help from BlakeInCanada and others on this thread, so thanks everybody!

DoGooder

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America