Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: perke_patch picture (BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS MAY & June 2012)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright perke_patch

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS MAY & June 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

bookmark
<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS MAY & June 2012
perke_patch wrote:
Hi everyone. I'm a bit earlier tonight and using the big computer so we'll see how we go.

can't even remember what I typed last night but it was a lot of words but alas they all disappeared. Nev I hoped you were all better now and Karen too. Oh that's right Karen I read somewhere that if you had an arythmic heart beat you should continue to cough deeply until the ambulance gets to you. Apparently a deep cough can reboot the heart and reset the correct rythm or something like that. Apparently this simple thing can give you the extra time for help to arrive and get you to hospital for treatment. I think I got that info in an email a few months ago. Anyway if you ever need to try this I truly hope it works and you can let us all know it does work.

Nev I'm so glad your workshop was successful. That sounds like a very good idea for teaching new members how to care for their new obsession. I know we all make so many mistakes as new brom enthusiasts so a teaching session like this would prevent newbies from having to learn the hard way. I wish now we had someone to teach us how to grow from seed so we didn't waste some very rare and valuable seed. We didn't know it had to be stored in the fridge and only set a small container of black imperialis and threw the rest into the cupboard in a plastic bag. Of course when we got it out months later it was all mouldy and had to be thrown out. Now we have only 8 good plants growing but it seems they are very highly sought after since word got out that we had them. Gee I wish we had put more effort into growing them properly. It will probably be another 10 years before we get one to flowering size to collect more seed for another go. Wish we had known you back then Nev or had fb forums and access to world authorities.

Pic 1 is the androlepsis skinnerii flowering. This is a very large growing plant with a long white infloresence. Apparently it is only a male so no seeds will develop. But we hope for lots of very nice pups soon. Pic 2 is for Jen and is our billbergia fruit salad. We now have 3 hanging baskets of lovely colour with some actually fowering so everyone wanted them last weekend but we haven't sold any yet. We have given away quite a few pups to friends so we better get our act together and do the big release soon. Better try to collect some seed as well so we can start the next batch of special babies.

Anyway off to bed again. I might have logged on here early but have spent too much time watching TV movie instead of getting this message typed and suddenly it is not early now. I can't believe I've been on DG for about 2 hours already.

Oh nearly forget we picked up the motorhome today so a few days work to clean it up and pack it and we should get away this week sometime. Don't know where we will go but we will head up to Hervey Bay first to see our son and some friends then we'll play it by ear.

Night all
Wendy

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America